Every Wednesday Walk or Wheel to School!
Why walk or bike to school?
- Enhance the Health of our Kids: Physical activity recommendations for children suggest that they need a variety of activities each day-some intense, some less-so, some informal, some structured. Walking or cycling to and from school is an ideal way to get some of that activity at no extra cost to the child or family.
- Improve Air Quality: Just think of your car idling in that car line…when children decide to lace-up their sneakers to walk, or strap on their bike helmets to pedal to school instead of riding in a car, they reduce the amount of air pollutants emitted by automobiles.
- Increase Safety: Fewer drivers means less traffic entering and exiting our parking lot and surrounding streets and safer routes for our kids.
- Increase Attention Span and Academic Success: A recent study conducted at the University of Illinois showed improvements in attention span leading to better comprehension and test scores (up to a full letter grade) after just 20 minutes of walking. Read more on this study.
- Spend Quality Time with Your Kids and Neighbors: Walking children to school gives parents the opportunity to talk with them in a casual setting. Walking home with them gives them a chance to decompress by sharing their day with you. Walking also allows your family to be social with your neighbors, strengthening community bonds.
Can’t walk everyday?
Start a neighborhood walking/riding group (much like a carpool). Parents can take turns walking/riding small groups of kids to and from school.