Ahoy La Mariposa families!
I am so excited to be your PTA captain. As we embark on the upcoming school year, I would like to welcome all of you to our school and I look forward to meeting our new La Mariposa families and staff and reconnecting with families that continue to be a part of this wonderful journey for our children.
To kick-off our voyage, I invite you to join us at some pre-celebration activities:
- This Tuesday, 8/20 is our PTA Meet and Greet & 1st Association Meeting, 10am at Pitts Ranch Park. Meet your Principal (Fleet Commander), Erica Williams, and your PTA crew (Executive Board). You may even have the chance to meet some of our La Mariposa crew (staff).
- This Friday, 8/23 is our Class Posting Party. Find out who your child’s teacher is and what pier your child’s ship will be departing from. We will have spirit wear, school supply boxes, and yogurt (provided by Surf n Yogurt) available for purchase for you and your family to enjoy. Festivities will begin at 3:30pm and conclude at 5:30pm. Class lists will be posted on campus and available online at www.lamariposatigers.org promptly at 4pm.
- Wednesday, 8/28 at 8:10am is the day we embark for our new adventures, your PTA crew will be hosting a Welcome Reception in the La Mariposa quad area. You will have the opportunity to meet your Fleet Commander (Principal), PTA Captain and PTA Crew.
You and your PTA play a significant role here at La Mariposa. We have a great crew (staff and all our volunteers). We continue to be successful due to collaboration, hard work, and dedication. I am proud to be a part of La Mariposa’s community. As we begin this journey together, I encourage you to be on the lookout for our PTA Back-to-School (BTS) Envelope coming home on the first day of school. This provides your family an opportunity to become members of our PTA, take care of purchases (spirit wear and yearbook) and donations to help us fund class field trips, PE, Technology and Music teachers, interactive learning equipment for our school, and amazing hands-on lessons, including art, science, and health & wellness. Taking care of these items at the start of the year makes it easier for you and your family and it allows our PTA to continue to advocate for our children and ensure that we provide programs for our children. Submitting this envelope on time will ensure that your family will be part of our School Directory.
As your PTA Captain, I believe it is important that I share some facts about me. I work full-time as a Sr. Business Consultant at WellPoint, Inc. where I focus on process optimization to ensure efficient business practices. My family comprises of my husband, Yeman, my two children, Colin (5th grade) and Anneliese (3rd grade), and our dog, Almond. I have been actively involved in our PTA for 5 years, since Colin started Kindergarten. I was a member of the School Site Council and served as PTA Executive VP (Communications) for 2 years. This is my 2nd year as your PTA President. In addition to leading our PTA, I am the Membership Chair and Popcorn Kernel for Cub Scouts Pack 3831 (servicing La Mariposa and Tierra Linda Schools) and an active parent in Anneliese’s Girl Scout troop.
As you can see, I choose to get involved so that I can be a part of shaping my children’s experiences. I encourage each of you to get involved in any way that you can, VOLUNTEER, ask questions, and share ideas. We have many volunteer opportunities here at La Mariposa. Please do not hesitate to reach out to your child’s teacher, any of our PTA Executive Board members, or contact me. We have a few open PTA Chair positions:
- Yearbook Co-Chair
- Restaurant/Fundraising Night
- School Supplies
- Science Week
- Garden Liaison
- Teacher Assistance Program (TAP)
- Open House Dinner
If any of these positions interest you or if you know someone that would be great in one of these positions, please let me know.
What can you expect? A great year filled with memorable events, programs, and assemblies that will inspire and enrich our children. Our children will enjoy learning at La Mariposa and make lasting memories and friends. Your PTA is here for you and your children. Please join us in making a difference at La Mariposa.
To keep up-to-date with our many events, programs and activities please sign-up for our weekly e-blasts by sending an email to La Mariposa PTA and indicate you are interested in receiving the weekly bulletins. In addition, I encourage you to visit our school website for more information.
I look forward to a great year,
Cindy Laudato-Wong, 2012-2014 PTA President, La Mariposa School