Last Monday, the Camarillo Council of PTAs held its Annual Honorary Service Awards Night. Along with eight other Camarillo Schools, La Mariposa honored seven amazing volunteers for their service to the La Mariposa community. Each recipient received a PTA Award Certificate and a donation was made in their name to the California State Scholarship and Grant Funds. Early this year nominations for the awards were submitted by parents and teachers. The La Mariposa PTA recognized the following individuals:
Very Special Person Award: The Very Special Person (VSP) Award may be given by individuals or PTA constituent organizations to recognize an individual or group.
Dr. Chad Wright, The Wright Center of Orthodontics
- Dr. Wright has been a loyal support of LM Dinner dance for last 5 years.
- Annual donation of free set of braces has raised approximately $20K in those 5 years, the equivalent of 7 classrooms worth of SMART Boards.
- His continued generosity has made a huge impact on the La Mariposa technology program.
Lisa Caulfield, Caulfield Consulting, LLC
- Lisa Caulfield has been a loyal supporter and sponsor of LM and LM events such as Jog-a-thon and Dinner Dance, just to name a few.
- She always gives without hesitation.
- There are a number of items around campus she’s given that we won’t mention, but trust us when we say her generosity is unmatched.
Honorary Service Award: An Honorary Service Award (HSA) may be given to an individual or organization in special recognition of outstanding service to children and youth.
- Puts the event program together for the Dinner Dance.
- Helped with t-shirt design for Jog-a-thon the past two years and has created the designs for our upcoming 13-14 Spirit Wear.
- Assists with our LM Gardens
- Was responsible for compiling our LM Student Directory
- Was responsible for bring the squid dissection lab & mobile marine lab to LM for Science Week and has worked on the Science Night committee for years.
- Face you see on campus helping out where needed
- Dependable, hardworking and there if you need her
- Previously served as PTA Secretary
- Heads up our ECO-Schools program and various growing green efforts – worm composting, earth week, granola bar and capri sun recycling, recycling, etc
- Led waste audit with parents and students, gathered and shared some informative data on our LM Student’s waste within in the class, at lunch and throughout school. She has spent countless hours meeting resources to help support and encourage Growing green, attending classes and getting our school to the next steps to make sure we align with ECO SChools program – resulting in various grants.
- Very engaged and supporting of our school activities and events – always there when needed
- Has worked on the Science Night committee for years
- Always in the classroom and school helping out as needed
- LM 3rd grade speech coach for the last 3 years and given up countless lunch breaks and afternoons that has brough more than 150 students over those years, not to mention more of her own time researching speeches and completing paper work.
- Also LM’s resident “Queen of the Kiln” and assists all the grade levels in the firing of their ceramic projects.
- This past year, Julie has spent countless hours brainstorming and advising PTA volunteers on the revamping of our 10 year old Art Docent Program. She truly goes above and beyond to ensure our tigers get a well-rounded education filled with enriching experiences
- Dorothy is always behind the scenes, going the extra mile for our kids.
- Worked on talent show committee for 3 years making sure performers were prepared and comfortable
- Worked as a speech coach for the past 2 years spending hours listening to speeches and typing stories so kids will be prepared and comfortable
- Also in charge of our Music Monday Program – painstakingly choosing musical pieces and gather links for our musical theme each week
- Arranges assemblies for our school every year and helps behind the scenes with GATER.
- Integral part of giving our tigers a full spectrum of experiences at LM.
Continuing Service Award: A Continuing Service Award (CSA) may be given to an individual or organization in special recognition of continued service to children and youth and may or may not have received a California State PTA Honorary Service Award.
- Unofficial TAP Room Coordinator: She keeps everything running so smoothly for our classrooms with all the photocopying they do. They work amazingly fast too and are always so sweet when helping the teachers.
- Food Drive and Animal Shelter Drive chairperson.
- Bulletin Board Stylist – She does a great job informing families of upcoming events with eye-catching boards
- Integral part of our successes. Evident in all the positions (PTA Secretary, Red Ribbon Week Chair, Bulletin Board, Food Drive Chair, TAP Room co-coordinator) she holds as well as her time and dedication to our shcool, PTA, and students. Always helps out with a smile and always gets things done.
- Her positive, selfless attitude is a joy to work with
Special thanks to HSA Lead, Melanie Kelley and her helper Kat Gregory for all their hard work in honoring these well deserving individuals.