- Listen for the sound of his hammer. Leprechauns are often busy making a shoe (and only one shoe) for an elf.
- Sneak up on the leprechaun. Hopefully, he will be absorbed in his work and will not hear you.
- Hold on to the leprechaun and don’t let go. Expect him to put up a pretty good fight, even if he is only about 2 feet tall.
- Keep your eyes on the leprechaun. He will do anything to get you to look away for a second. If you do, he will disappear into the mist, and his pot of gold is safe.
- Threaten him if he is especially resistant to telling you where the pot of gold is hiding.
- Make the leprechaun take you to his pot of gold. You should find it at the end of the rainbow.
Tips & Warnings
- Leprechauns are always male. No one has ever given a credible report of a female leprechaun.
- Although leprechauns are now usually depicted wearing nothing but green, at the turn of the twentieth century they were renowned for wearing red coats.
A note from the editor:
As I was fishing around looking for a fun St. Patty’s Day article, I also came across this great little story: